Craving chocolate but want a healthier option? Make your own homemade chocolate using cacao butter, raw cacao powder and agave syrup. This recipe is dairy-free and vegan!
- 1 cup cacao butter (you should be able to find this in any health food store or Bulk Barn)
- 1 cup raw cacao powder
- 1/2 cup agave syrup (or more if you prefer it sweeter- I definitely added more)
- Toppings of your choice- such as:
- Roasted almonds
- Coconut flakes
- Gogi berries
- Dried cranberries
- Pumpkin seeds
- Melt the cacao butter in the microwave in intervals of 30 seconds or in a double boiler
- Once the cacao butter is melted, pour in the raw cacao powder and agave syrup until the mixture is smooth and shiny and looks delicious – try not to eat the entire bowl of chocolate!
- Pour the chocolate mixture into a pan lined with wax paper. Spread it out more with a spatula if you like your bark to be thinner and kind of crispy.
- Top with whatever toppings you like
- Pop it into the freezer until it hardens
- Take it out and EAT! Enjoy!!
I won’t lie, I made this recipe twice. The double boiler method always screws me over a bit, my chocolate ended up seizing (getting grainy) because even the slightest condensation or water that touches the chocolate will make it into that grainy, gross texture. I thought I saved it by adding more boiling water and whisking vigorously…then I did a Google search after I noticed it wasn’t hardening the way I wanted it too. It was a bit mushy on the bottom and I figured I had to leave it in the freezer longer. It hardened a bit more but it’s definitely not the texture it was supposed to be. A quick Google search and I learned that I completely screwed it up! (*facepalm*)
Once your chocolate “seizes” you can salvage it by adding boiling water and whisking until its smooth again, but the cacao butter will no longer crystallize and it won’t freeze into a breakable bark. You can use this chocolate as a chocolate sauce for ice creams or for dipping, but learn from my mistakes please and don’t go topping the chocolate with almonds and cranberries and pop into the freezer thinking everything will work out. Now I’ll have to figure out what to do with this batch of messed up chocolate trail mix bark…