Canada Day is coming up so soon and it’s a big one! Canada is turning 150 (and still looking gorgeous) so of course we need to do it up big and celebrate with loads of Canadian specialties.
We’ve always loved Nanaimo Bars, so we’ve decided to mix things up a bit and combine our love of Oreo cookies, Nanaimo bars and cheesecake to make Oreo Nanaimo Cheesecake! Are you drooling already?
Here’s the recipe:
[Note: This cheesecake was baked in a bigger 9″ springform pan for a thinner cheesecake to counteract the decadent chocolate top and Oreo crust.]
- 2 pkg. (250 g each) brick cream cheese, softened
- 5 tbsp. butter, softened, divided
- 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp. sugar, divided
- 1 + 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 6 oz. semi-sweet chocolate, divided
- 2/3 cup shredded coconut (we used 1/2 cup initially, however the Oreo crust tends to overpower the coconut flavour that is so prevalent in Nanaimo bars, so we recommend bumping up the shredded coconut a bit)
- 1/4 cup dry Jell-O Instant Vanilla Pudding
- 1 cup Oreo crumbs
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1 tbsp. water
- 2 drops of yellow food colouring (optional- for that true custard yellow Nanaimo colour)
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- Topping: Oreo cookies (halved) and Oreo crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Melt 3 oz. of semi-sweet chocolate and 4 tbsp. of butter in a small bowl. Add in 1/2 tsp. of vanilla- mix well. Stir Oreo crumbs, shredded coconut and 1 tbsp. sugar together in a medium bowl, pour in chocolate mixture and combine. Press crust mixture into the bottom of springform pan
- Bake for 8 mins. Let cool while you prepare the cheesecake filling
- Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees Fahrenheit
- Beat softened cream cheese and 1/2 cup of sugar in a medium bowl. Add 1/4 cup of dry Jell-O Instant Vanilla Pudding Mix, whipping cream, food colouring and 1 tsp. of vanilla- mix well.
- Add eggs 1 at a time, mixing on a low speed until blended. Pour filling over Oreo and coconut crust
- Wrap the sides of your springform pan with aluminum foil. Place the springform pan in a large roasting pan and pour hot water in the roasting pan almost half-way up the sides of the springform pan. This will create steam in your oven and prevent your cheesecake from cracking while baking.
- Bake for 40-45 mins or until the centre of the cake is almost set
- Let cool for in the pan before transferring to the refrigerator to set for at least 1 hour
- Microwave remaining chocolate, butter and water until the mixture is melted, smooth and well blended.
- Once your cake has cooled for at least 1 hour. Pour the melted chocolate over your cake and spread to the edges. Place halved Oreo cookies around the cake and sift Oreo crumbs over the entire cake
- Place your fully decorated cheesecake back into the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or overnight
- Once your cheesecake has set, run a knife around the edges of the springform pan before releasing the cake from the pan
- Slice and serve! Enjoy your reinvented classic Canadian treat!
Did you know Macklemore threw Nanaimo bars into the crowd during his Vancouver concert last summer?
What will you be making this #Canada150 Canada Day? HAPPY BIRTHDAY CANADA! We’re proud to be a part of this great country!
*This recipe has been adapted from Kraft Canada