We’re all about taking care of our bodies from the inside-out, so when we found out about Namaste Foods, we were excited to give their products a try. They have a wide variety of food products such as baking mixes, organic gluten-free flours, coating mixes, and dinner entreés. All of these products are free of the top 8 allergens declared by the FDA: wheat, dairy, peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, soy, fish and shellfish.
If you’re someone that suffers from symptoms such as bloating, gas, joint pain, constipation, acne, fatigue or eczema you may have a gluten intolerance. Give your body a break and try gluten-free recipes such as this Pineapple-Orange Upside Down Cake filled with orange-vanilla pudding (that tastes like an orange creamsicle!)
Here’s the recipe!
Cake (Makes 2 cakes):
- Two 8″ or 9″ cake pans
- 1 box Namaste Gluten-Free Vanilla Cake Mix
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup oil or melted butter
- 3 tbsp. butter
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- Slices from 1 large orange or 2 clementines
- 1 can pineapple rings (you can use the juice from the can)
- Gluten-free instant vanilla pudding
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/3 cup pineapple juice
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1 can mandarin orange slices (broken or whole)
For the cake:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Place 3 tbsp. of butter into one 8″ or 9″ cake pan. Place the pan into the preheated oven until the butter is melted
- Drain the pineapple slices and orange slices on a paper towel (save the pineapple juice for your filling and cake mix)
- Arrange pineapple and orange slices on the bottom of the pan- sprinkle the brown sugar over the the pineapple and orange slices
- Prepare gluten-free cake batter: In a large bowl add 4 eggs, 1/2 cup pineapple juice, 1/2 cup orange juice and 1/2 cup oil or melted butter to Namaste Vanilla Cake Mix (the juice will replace the water called for on the instructions of the box). Stir until well combined.
- Pour half of the cake batter over pineapple and orange slices
- Grease and prepare second cake pan and pour remaining cake batter into second cake pan
- Bake both cakes for 28-32 mins. depending on your oven. or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean
- *Note: Our cakes were done baking at 28 minutes – make sure to keep an eye on your cakes as gluten-free recipes differ from standard baking recipes
- Once cakes are done, let them cool for at least 10 mins. in the pan
For the filling:
- Pour contents of 1 pack of instant vanilla pudding mix into a large bowl
- Add whipping cream and pineapple juice. Stir to combine. Gradually stir in milk- your pudding mix should be a bit thicker than regular pudding and similar to a frosting consistency.
- Add in zest of one orange and refrigerate for a few minutes to let the frosting set and become spreadable
- Frosting: Remove plain cooled cake from the pan. Spread pudding filling over the cake and add drained mandarin orange slices on top.
- Carefully remove pineapple cake from the pan and gently place over top of the frosted layer
- Let your cake set in the refrigerator for a few minutes before slicing and serving!
Make sure to also check out the Lemon-Rosemary Scones we made using the Namaste Foods Gluten-Free Muffin and Scone Mix