We’re officially getting into the Christmas spirit and nothing says Christmas-time like a big mug of hot chocolate topped with marshmallows or whipped cream. But the holidays can also be stressful and you deserve a real drink, so we’ve adultified the average hot chocolate with a splash of rum and some warm spices for something way more flavourful, aromatic and of course, boozy!
This recipe includes a really easy homemade chai spice mix, which you can learn how to make below. But, of course you can certainly get store-bought chai spice mix to make this recipe even easier than it already is for when you have a big adult family waiting for their boozy beverage.
For the Homemade Chai Spice Mix
- 2 tsp. ground cardamom
- 1 tsp. allspice
- 1 tsp. ground cloves
- 2 tsp. ground ginger
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
Combine all spices and store in a small airtight container.
For the Chai Spiced Rum Hot Chocolate
Yields: 2 servings
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp. sifted cocoa powder + extra for dusting
- 2 tsp. chai spice mix
- 1.5 shots dark spiced rum
- Topping: whipped cream or marshmallows (optional)
- Combine all ingredients in small saucepan.
- Heat over medium heat, stirring constantly until chocolate chips are melted and all ingredients are well combined.
- Pour into festive Christmas mugs and top with whipped cream or marshmallows and dust with cocoa powder.
- Serve and indulge in your decadent and creamy adult hot chocolate.
Cheers to the holidays and more Christmas recipes to come!