There’s nothing like a nice glass of wine after a long day, but with Christmas right around the corner, there’s nothing like a nice mug of mulled wine to warm you up on cold, wintery days this holiday season.
Mulled wine, which is essentially wine that has been warmed and infused with aromatic spices and citrus, has been around for centuries and is particularly popular in Europe. However, we’ve noticed mulled wine make more of an appearance at Christmas markets here in Canada, so of course, we’ve decided to make our own Autumnal style mulled wine.
There are tons of different wines out there, so you can feel free to use whatever wine you enjoy the most. However, for this recipe, we suggest using a wine that doesn’t taste too sweet since you will be adding a touch of sweetness with some apple juice and a bit of sugar.
HARVEST MULLED WINE
Yields: 2 servings
- 2 cups red wine
- 1 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick + 2 cinnamon sticks for garnish
- 3 cloves
- 1 orange, sliced
- 1 star anise
- Combine wine and apple juice in a small pot and bring to a boil.
- Add sugar, spices and sliced orange. Keep a couple of slices for garnish.
- Reduce heat to low and let simmer for 20-30 mins. You can also let this simmer on a really low heat for a couple of hours.
- Pour into mugs and serve with a slice of orange and a cinnamon stick.