The beautiful sign of summer – farmer’s markets loaded with fresh fruits of the season. Strawberries, peaches, raspberries, blueberries…there’s really nothing better. We absolutely love berries; count us in for strawberry tarts, blueberry scones, raspberry ice cream, but if there’s a family of fruits we’ve often overlook it’s stone fruits like peaches and apricots.
It’s time we give peaches and apricots more attention in the baking world and one of the best, effortless desserts that serve “rustic elegance” are galettes. The “dish-less pie” that is so versatile and can be filled with pretty much any fruit or even savoury filling for an easy, pizza-style dinner.
Here’s how to make a simple Peach & Apricot Galette:
For the crust
1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cubed
2-3 tbsp. (or more) ice water
For the filling
6-8 apricots, sliced
1-2 peaches, sliced
1 tsp. cinnamon
3 tbsp. brown sugar
2 tsp. cornstarch
- Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees F.
- In a food processor, pulse together all-purpose flour, salt and butter. Slowly stream in ice water and pulse until dough comes together.
- Drop dough onto a lightly floured surface, combine and form into a disc and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes – 1 hour or freeze for 15-20 mins.
- While your dough chills, slice your apricots and peaches into wedges and place in a medium-sized bowl with brown sugar, corn starch and cinnamon. Mix together and let it sit while your dough chills.
- Once your dough has chilled, roll it out onto a floured surface until it is around an 1/8″ thick round. Transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet and return to freezer for another 15 minutes.
- Once the rolled-out pastry has chilled for 15 minutes, place your sliced apricots and peaches, onto the centre of the galette. Keep the apricot and peach juice/brown sugar that is left at the bottom of the bowl. We will use that as a glaze.
- Fold over the edges of the pastry make a 2cm border around the sides. Brush the edges with heavy cream or an egg wash.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and brush the leftover apricot juice/brown sugar over the apricots and peaches.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 375 degrees F and continue baking until the crust is golden and cooked through. Around 25-30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, brush with more apricot juice/brown sugar mixture, sprinkle a bit of raw sugar over top and serve warm with vanilla bean ice cream if you wish. Enjoy!