It’s a new year, which means I’m back to attempting to eat healthier and exercise and so far, five days later, I can proudly say I haven’t completely messed up everything! It’s all about the baby steps, guys. Which means I’m swapping my usual cookies for dessert with greek yogurt, fresh fruit and this seriously good granola.
This granola is from Chrissy Teigen’s latest cookbook, Cravings: Hungry For More and it’s really that good. It’s salty and sweet and so not boring! I switched things up a bit and added some pumpkin seeds, flax meal and dried cranberries that I had on hand, instead of the shredded coconut and sunflower seeds from the original recipe, but you could definitely make this your own and add whatever your healthy heart desires!
I could eat an entire jar of this stuff, but 2019 is also about self-control, so we’re resisting temptation…for now.
- 3 cups rolled oats
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds
- ¼ cup flax meal
- ½ cup vegetable oil or melted coconut oil
- ⅓ cup pure maple syrup
- ⅓ cup (packed) light brown sugar (or coconut sugar)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 cup chopped dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper
- In a large bowl, combine oats, pecans, almonds, pumpkin seeds and flax meal. In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, maple syrup, light brown sugar, vanilla extract and salt.
- Add the wet ingredients to the oat mixture and toss together. Spread the granola on the baking sheet and bake for 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally. The edges will turn a dark brown colour, but make sure to remove from the oven if the nuts start to burn.
- Remove from oven and stir in dried cranberries. Let granola cool and store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
Written by Sanah Ahsan