I clearly think that I haven’t posted about hazelnuts enough, because here’s yet another recipe with one of the most iconic flavour combinations ever. Chocolate and hazelnuts together is a dream and amplifying a classic chocolate chip cookie with toasted hazelnuts adds great texture and complexity to an otherwise classic recipe.
Lately, I’ve been loving brown butter in my cookies. It’s an extra step that adds depth to the cookie and an extra nutty note along with the hazelnuts. It’s also perfect when you’ve forgotten to take the butter out of the fridge to bring it to room temperature, and because you’re using melted butter, you won’t need a stand mixer.
Additionally, I’ve used a touch of rye flour in this recipe. It may seem like a really small amount, but I find it adds a little extra flavour to the cookie and enhances the nuttiness of the brown butter and hazelnuts even more so, however you’re welcome to completely use all-purpose flour for this recipe.
Hazelnut Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 220 g unsalted butter, cubed
- 200 g brown sugar
- 150 g granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, cold
- 1-½ tsp vanilla extract
- 300 g all-purpose flour
- 50 g rye flour or all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 1-¼ tsp baking soda
- 200 g dark chocolate, chopped
- 100 g toasted hazelnuts, chopped
- flaky sea salt
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking tray with non-stick parchment paper and set aside.
- Place the butter in a medium saucepan, set over medium heat. Swirl the pan occasionally.
- Turn the heat down and continue to stir as the milk solids begin to brown at the bottom of the pan. Once your butter turns into a toasty brown colour and gives off a nutty smell, it is ready. Remove from heat and pour into your mixing bowl immediately. Let cool for a few minutes.
- While the butter cools, whisk together the flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Once the butter is cooled slightly, add the brown sugar and granulated sugar. Whisk until smooth. Add vanilla extract and the cold egg and mix until well combined.
- Using a spoon or spatula, scoop half of the flour mixture into the wet ingredients and mix until just combined (some dry pockets of flour should remain). At this point, add the dark chocolate and hazelnuts.
- Use a small 1-1/2 tablespoon-sized cookie scoop, scoop out cookie balls and place onto your baking tray. Sprinkle the dough balls with a bit of flaky sea salt.
- Place the baking tray in the oven and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown. Once baked, remove from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes before serving.