There’s something so beautiful about Thanksgiving (besides the table full of pies, potato dishes, and that juicy turkey), it’s that lovely time to stop the hustle, step away from the stress of a heavy workload and indulge in a heavy meal instead. It’s the time to come together with all loved ones; whether you’re with family, or simply having a Friendsgiving, there’s no better time to remember to rest and be thankful for every blessing.
But, it’s also two months before Christmas over here in Canada and we gotta make sure we fit into those fancy Christmas outfits, which is why we’re tossing together a Harvest salad full of autumnal fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds. Sweet potato, carrots, pumpkin seeds, dried cranberries, and pecans mixed with kale and arugula mingle together, resulting in a sweet flavour with a bite. Pair this with our creamy, dijon dressing and everyone will be asking you for the recipe.
This is great for you health nuts of the family looking for a healthier option. Yes, it’s a salad, but don’t fret, it’s seriously delicious and no one will get mad at you from bringing salad as your contribution to the Thanksgiving table. This recipe is entirely customizable, add some diced apples for a slightly acidic, sweet flavour or add some crumbled feta cheese for a salty note or go full on with the autumnal vibes and swap the sweet potato for pumpkin! Happy Thanksgiving!
Harvest Salad with Creamy Dijon Dressing
For the salad
- 4 cups sweet potato, diced
- 2 bunches of imperator* carrots
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ½ cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 1 large pomegranate
- 1-2 turkey breasts, sliced or chopped (optional)
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 1 cup arugula
- 1-2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1-½ tsp pink Himalayan salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
For the dijon dressing
- ⅓ cup full-fat mayonnaise
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tbsp red wine vinegar
- ½ tbsp dijon mustard
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Spread diced sweet potato over baking sheet lined with aluminum foil.
- Drizzle olive oil and sprinkle cinnamon, nutmeg, Himalayan salt and black pepper over sweet potato. Toss together and roast for 30-35 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Slice washed and peeled carrots in half. Lightly drizzle with olive oil. Grill in on a barbeque or grill pan over the stove, until tender. You can also dice the carrots and roast them or grill them.
- Wash and chop kale and arugula. Massage the kale for about 2 minutes in a large bowl to reduce its bitter taste.
- Cut large pomegranate in half and remove seeds. Tip: using a wooden spoon, tap the back of the pomegranate over a bowl to release the seeds. This will result in less mess!
- Check on your sweet potato. Once it’s cooked through, remove from the oven and let cool
- Assemble your salad in a large platter or toss together in a bowl. Add chopped pecans, pumpkin seeds, dried cranberries, cooked sweet potato, and pomegranate seeds over kale and arugula. Lay sliced, grilled carrots over top, along with sliced turkey breast (if using) and drizzle creamy dijon dressing just before serving.
For the cream dijon dressing
- Whisk all ingredients together in a bowl or measuring cup
- Pour into a bottle or small mason jar and refrigerate